The men's and women's track and field program hired Fred Lewis as its jumps coach in the fall of 2017. One of the premiere jumps coaches in the metro St. Louis area for over 25 years, Coach Lewis brings a successful coaching background to the program.
Athletically, Fred found the top of the podium as a high school athlete as a state champion in the triple jump and as a collegiate 1985 Big 8 conference champion in the triple jump at the University of Kansas. His personal best in the triple jump is over 16 meters, and his top distance in long jump is more than seven meters.
Collegiately – 4 years (assistant jumps coach at Lindenwood University and head coach at Harris-Stowe State University)
- 11 All-Americans (four in the triple jump, four in the long jump, two in the high jump, one in the 110 hurdles) in his first season at Lindenwood
High School – 26 years (University City High School and Ritenour High School)
- 13 Missouri state champions (eight in the triple jump, three in the long jump, two in the high jump)
- Has coached a jumper who appeared in the Missouri state finals for 25 years
- Most recently, coached the Missouri 5A girl's triple jump champion
- Produced marks of 47 to 50 feet for seven boys in triple jump, 22 to 23 feet for five boys in the long jump, 37 to 40 feet for eight girls in the triple jump, and highs of 5-10 in girl's high jump and 18-10 in girl's long jump
Many of his former student-athletes have gone on to be world ranked jumpers or Olympians.